Herb-and-Chile-Marinated Fish Shashlik
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HRS 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 8 skewers
Russians usually make these fish kebabs with sturgeon, the firm-fleshed white fish prized for its caviar. Since most wild sturgeon is now endangered, look for sustainable farmed fish or try black cod or swordfish.
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chile, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped dill
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 4 pounds firm, full-flavored skinless fish fillets, such as swordfish or black cod, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Lemon wedges and grilled flatbread, for serving
- In a large bowl, toss the onions with the garlic, jalapeño, red chile, dill, parsley and wine. Add the fish and stir to coat thoroughly with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Light a grill. Thread the fish onto 8 metal skewers, leaving a small space between each piece. Brush the fish with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and just opaque throughout, about 12 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges and grilled flatbread.
Beer White ales like Hoegaarden have a nice lemony spritz that's perfect with fish dishes.
Wine For a wine alternative, try a white Vermentino from Italy's Ligurian coast.