Heirloom-Tomato Salad with Anchovies
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Michael Cimarusti's Filipino-born father-in-law, Fred Echiverri, inspired this Asian take on a classic tomato salad. Echiverri would pick juicy vine-ripened tomatoes from his Kentucky garden and drizzle them with a wonderfully pungent and tangy dressing of fish sauce, a little vinegar and some thinly sliced scallions.
Plus: More Vegetable Recipes and Tips
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced, peeled fresh ginger
- 3 pounds assorted heirloom tomatoes, large tomatoes sliced, cherry tomatoes halved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 32 marinated white anchovy fillets or 16 canned skinless, boneless sardine fillets, drizzled with white wine vinegar (see Note)
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lime juice, fish sauce and ginger. Arrange the tomatoes on a large platter and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the scallions and cilantro, and arrange the anchovies around the platter and serve.