- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovies, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted heirloom tomatoes—large ones sliced, small ones halved
- Fleur de sel
- Freshly ground pepper
- Flat-leaf parsley, for serving
- Marjoram leaves, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a small skillet, combine the olive oil, anchovies, garlic and lemon zest.
In a small bowl, toss the shallot with the vinegar and let stand for 10 minutes.
Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Turn the heat to low and, when the water is simmering, gently place the eggs in the water. Cook for 6 minutes, until lightly boiled. Have an ice bath ready near the stove. With a slotted spoon, plunge the eggs in the ice bath and let cool for 2 minutes. Peel the eggs.
Arrange the tomatoes on 4 plates and season with fleur de sel and pepper. Scatter the shallot and vinegar over the tomatoes.
Warm the anchovy dressing over moderate heat to a gentle simmer; pour over the tomatoes. Cut the eggs in half crosswise and place a half on each plate. Scatter the parsley and marjoram over the salad and serve at once.
Tangy, fresh tomatoes like the ones in this salad call for a vibrant white to match their acidity.