Hearty Mushroom and Oat Groat Soup
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 8
The oat groats need to soak overnight, so plan accordingly.
- 1/2 ounce dried mushrooms (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound mixed fresh mushrooms
- 6 cups vegetable stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup oat groats, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium parsnip, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon minced rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- In a heatproof bowl, soak the dried mushrooms in the boiling water until softened, about 20 minutes. Remove the mushrooms and reserve the liquid separately. Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the leeks and garlic and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Thinly slice the fresh mushrooms and add them and the reconstituted mushrooms to the pot. Cook, stirring, until the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add the reserved mushroom liquid and the stock, oat groats, carrots, parsnip, balsamic vinegar, thyme and rosemary and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over moderately low heat until the oat groats are tender, about 35 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley. Serve piping hot.
Notes One serving Calories 178 kcal, Total Fat 8.7 gm, Saturated Fat 1 gm