- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 pounds beef shin, bones removed, meat cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 cups water
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onions and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the paprika and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the caraway, marjoram, thyme and bay leaf. Add the meat and water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the meat is very tender, about 1 hour. Add the potato and cook, uncovered, until it is tender, about 15 minutes. Add the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Make AheadThe soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.