- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1 pound), cut into 2-inch pieces
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 andouille sausage (about 3 ounces), sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
How to make this recipe
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add the sausage to the skillet and cook until lightly browned on both sides, about 2 minutes. Add the sausage to the plate with the chicken.
- Add the onion, pepper and garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add the adobo seasoning and chile powder and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until well coated and just beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Stir in the stock, black beans, chicken and sausage and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Cover and cook over moderately low heat until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes, then fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
Contributed By Rocco DiSpirito Photo © Fredrika Stjarne