© Todd Porter & Diane Cu
Healthy Chicken and Roasted Acorn Squash
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Perfect as a holiday side or, paired with a nice green salad, as a quick and healthy weeknight meal, this cold-weather twist on traditional chicken salad is sure to satisfy.
Slideshow: More Squash Recipes
- 1 medium acorn squash (about 2 pounds), seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher or sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4-5 sprigs Italian parsley, thyme or oregano, tied together
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 whole garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley, for serving
- Prepare the Squash Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the olive oil, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Coat the acorn squash pieces with the mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the squash on the prepared pan and roast for 20 minutes. Flip the squash pieces over and continue roasting for about 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, Poach the Chicken Rinse off the chicken breasts. Fill a medium stockpot with water and add the herbs, bay leaf, garlic, salt and peppercorns. Bring the water to a boil and add the chicken breasts.
- Return the water to a boil and then lower heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat, cover with a lid and keep the chicken in the hot water for another 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the water and shred into bite-sized pieces. Toss the squash with the chicken, garnish with parsley and serve warm or at room temperature.