Healthy Chicken and Quinoa Bowl
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
This healthy one-bowl dish layers hearty quinoa and juicy poached chicken with fresh summer tomatoes and basil.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4-5 sprigs Italian parsley, thyme or oregano, tied together
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, or to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- POACH THE CHICKEN Rinse off the chicken breasts. Fill a medium stockpot with water and add the herbs, bay leaf, garlic, salt and peppercorns. Bring the water to a boil and add the chicken breasts.
- Return the water to a boil and then lower heat to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat, cover with a lid and keep the chicken in the hot water for another 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the water, shred into bite-sized pieces and let cool.
- MEANWHILE, COOK THE QUINOA In a medium saucepan combine the quinoa, water, and salt and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low, and gently simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Combine the quinoa, chicken, cherry tomatoes, basil, and cashews. In another bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, brown sugar and season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- MAKE THE SALAD Combine the quinoa, chicken, cherry tomatoes, basil and cashews. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, garlic, brown sugar and season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.