- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts (about 7 ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses diluted with 2 tablespoons warm water (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of saffron threads
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Toast the hazelnuts in a pan for about 10 minutes, or until fragrant and the skins blister. Transfer to a kitchen towel and rub them together to remove the skins. Let the nuts cool.
- In a blender, combine the hazelnuts, garlic, ginger, lemon zest, and coriander seeds and coarsely chop. In a bowl, combine the diluted pomegranate molasses with the oil, cayenne, saffron and 3/4 cup of warm water. With the machine on, gradually add the liquid and blend until smooth. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Season with salt and serve slightly chilled.
The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Pomegranate molasses is available at Middle Eastern markets.