- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 1 3/4 CUPS
Pomegranate molasses adds a tart, exotic flavor to this rich, nutty sauce. You can substitute three tablespoons of unsweetened cranberry juice for the diluted molasses if you like.
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts (about 7 ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses diluted with 2 tablespoons warm water (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of saffron threads
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Toast the hazelnuts in a pan for about 10 minutes, or until fragrant and the skins blister. Transfer to a kitchen towel and rub them together to remove the skins. Let the nuts cool.
- In a blender, combine the hazelnuts, garlic, ginger, lemon zest, and coriander seeds and coarsely chop. In a bowl, combine the diluted pomegranate molasses with the oil, cayenne, saffron and 3/4 cup of warm water. With the machine on, gradually add the liquid and blend until smooth. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Season with salt and serve slightly chilled.