- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cubed sourdough bread ( 1/2 inch)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup skinned roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
Roast the red bell pepper directly over a gas flame or under a preheated broiler, turning, until charred all over; let cool. Discard the charred skin, stem and seeds. Coarsely chop the bell pepper.
In a medium skillet, melt the butter in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the bread cubes and cook over moderate heat, tossing, until crisp, about 3 minutes. Let cool.
In a food processor, combine the roasted pepper, toasted bread cubes, sherry vinegar, tomato paste, garlic and hazelnuts and puree. With the machine on, slowly pour in the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Season the <em>romesco</em> sauce with salt and pepper.
The romesco sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Let return to room temperature before serving.