- 2 cups blanched whole almonds (1/2 pound), finely ground in a food processor
- 1 cup roasted skinned hazelnuts (4 ounces), finely ground in a food processor
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups pine nuts (3/4 pound)
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. In a food processor, pulse the ground almonds and hazelnuts to blend. Pulse in the sugar. Add the butter and honey and process until blended. Add the egg whites and salt and process just until completely incorporated. Scape the dough into a bowl and roll tablespoons of it into balls. Roll each ball in the pine nuts, pressing lightly to help them adhere.
- Arrange 12 balls on each baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 11 minutes, or until golden around the edges. Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then slide the parchment onto racks to let the cookies cool completely. Repeat with more parchment paper and the remaining cookies. Dust the cooled cookies with confectioners' sugar and serve.
Make AheadThe baked pine nut cookies can be stored at room temperature overnight or frozen for up to 1 week.