- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN plus cooling
- SERVINGS: 20 large brownies
- 7 ounces hazelnuts
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate (70 percent), chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon of hot water
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with foil, pressing it into the corners and leaving overhang on the 2 short sides.
- Spread the hazelnuts in a pie plate and toast for 15 minutes, until fragrant and the skins blister; transfer to a kitchen towel to cool slightly, then rub off the skins. Let cool completely. Transfer the nuts to a food processor. Add the cocoa, salt and 1/2 cup of the sugar and pulse until finely ground.
- In a large saucepan, cook the butter over moderate heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until nutty-smelling and golden and the foam subsides, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate; let stand until melted, about 2 minutes. Whisk the butter and chocolate until smooth, scraping up any browned butter solids from the bottom of the pan. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the remaining 2 1/2 cups of sugar and the coffee until tripled in volume, about 5 minutes. Beat in the chocolate-butter mixture. Add the cocoa-hazelnut mixture and beat to combine, scraping down the bowl. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, until the top is glossy and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Let the brownie cool completely on a rack, then refrigerate until chilled.
- Lift the brownie out of the pan and peel off the foil. Cut into 20 pieces and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.