Hazelnut-and-Green Olive Pesto
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 1 1/2 cups
This isn't a typical pesto, since it has no cheese; instead, it's made with an irresistible blend of crunchy toasted hazelnuts, fresh green parsley, salty green olives and garlic.
- 1 cup hazelnuts (5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the hazelnuts in a pie plate and toast for 15 minutes, until the skins blister; transfer to a kitchen towel and let cool slightly. Rub the nuts in the towel to remove the skins, then transfer to a food processor and let cool completely.
- Add the parsley and garlic to the food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the olives and crushed red pepper and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer the pesto to a bowl, stir in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.