- One 3 1/2-pound chicken—cut into 8 pieces, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
How to make this recipe
- Put the chicken in a large baking dish and sprinkle on the pepper, salt and garlic powder. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Put the flour in a large, sturdy plastic bag. Add the chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat; shake off any excess flour.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the chicken pieces and fry over moderate heat, turning, until golden and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Lower the heat if the chicken gets too dark.
This highly seasoned chicken will showcase the flavors of a smooth, rich, fruity Chardonnay.