- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the milk until just moistened.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead twice. Roll out the dough 1/3 inch thick. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, stamp out biscuits as close together as possible; transfer to a baking sheet. Reroll the scraps and stamp out the remaining biscuits. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until lightly golden. Serve immediately.