- 1 cup dried currants (4 ounces)
- About 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup blanched almonds (4 to 5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (3 ounces)
- 1 cup pitted dates (6 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
How to make this recipe
- In a medium glass or ceramic bowl, cover the currants with 3/4 cup of the red wine and let them soak until plumped, at least 5 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the almonds and walnuts on a baking sheet and bake for 4 minutes; stir in the pine nuts and bake for about 3 minutes longer, or until all the nuts are lightly toasted. Let the nuts cool, then chop them. Add the nuts, dates, cinnamon and cloves to the currants and wine and mix well. Stir in the remaining wine if the mixture is very stiff.
The haroset can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cover but do not refrigerate.