Harissa Chicken with Green-Chile-and-Tomato Salad
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR Plus 4 hr marinating
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 chipotle in adobo, minced, plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground caraway
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, lightly pounded
- 2 mild green chiles, such as Italian frying peppers
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- In a mortar, combine the paprika, chipotle, adobo sauce, garlic, cumin, caraway and olive oil and pound until a paste forms. Season with salt and pepper. Spread half of the harissa all over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the chiles over moderately high heat until charred all over. Place the chiles in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 10 minutes. Peel, seed and stem the chiles, then cut them into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Transfer the chiles to a bowl and add the onion, tomatoes, cilantro and 1 tablespoon of the harissa. Season the salad with salt and pepper and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush the chicken with oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning, until cooked through, 9 minutes. Serve the chicken with the salad and remaining harissa.
Try a light-bodied, berry-rich Beaujolais.