Haricots Verts and White Beans with Shallot Vinaigrette
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS plus overnight soaking
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12
At Thanksgiving, it’s always great to have a couple of dishes that don’t have to go in the oven. This combination of creamy white beans and slightly crunchy haricots verts makes an interesting textural mix, and it’s sturdy enough to stand at room temperature for several hours.
- 2 cups dried white beans, such as cannellini (see Note), soaked overnight and drained
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large thyme sprig
- Kosher salt
- 2 pounds haricots verts, trimmed
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- In a large pot, cover the dried beans with 3 inches of water. Add the onion, bay leaf and thyme and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Add more water as needed to maintain the water level. Add 2 teaspoons of salt and remove the pot from the heat. Let the beans cool in the cooking water.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the haricots verts until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain the beans and spread them on a large rimmed baking sheet to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the shallots, garlic, mustard and both vinegars. Add a pinch of salt and let the vinaigrette stand for 10 minutes. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the dried beans and discard the onion, bay leaf and thyme. Transfer the beans to a large bowl and add the haricots verts. Add the vinaigrette and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a platter. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
The dried beans can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated in their liquid overnight.Notes
Although dried beans will last for years, the newer the crop, the more delicious the beans are and the more evenly they cook. So it’s best to buy from a trusted source, like Rancho Gordo, and cook the beans soon after buying.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.