Hanger Steak with Shallots and Mushrooms
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way Daniel Boulud prepares this juicy, crusty steak in the classic bistro style, smothered in mushrooms and red wine sauce. He garnishes the dish with bone marrow.
Easy Way This recipe is already easy, but leaving out the marrow makes it even more accessible.
- One 1 1/2-pound hanger steak
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thickly sliced
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 6 shallots, very thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Brush the steak with olive oil and season it with salt and pepper. Heat a large cast-iron skillet until nearly smoking. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, then add the steak and cook over high heat, turning once, until well browned outside and medium-rare within, about 12 minutes. Transfer the steak to a plate, cover loosely with foil and let rest.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add the sliced shallots and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 4 minutes longer. Add the red wine vinegar and cook until evaporated. Add the wine and cook until nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken stock and the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Slice the steak in half lengthwise, cutting on either side of the sinew that runs down the center. Thinly slice the steak and transfer to plates. Add the parsley and any accumulated meat juices to the mushrooms. Spoon the sauce over the steak and serve.
A spicy Châteauneuf.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.