- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 2 teaspoons minced tarragon
- 1 teaspoon minced chervil
- 2 oil-packed anchovy fillets, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped rinsed capers
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Two trimmed 1-pound hanger steaks
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Toast the hazelnuts in a pie plate for 12 minutes, or until the skins are blistered. Transfer the nuts to a kitchen towel; let cool slightly, then rub off the skins. Finely chop the nuts and transfer them to a bowl. Add the parsley, chives, tarragon, chervil, anchovies, capers and shallot. Stir in the vinegar and the 3/4 cup of oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the steaks with oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, about 12 minutes for medium-rare meat. Let rest for 5 minutes. Slice the meat across the grain and serve with the salsa.
Serve with an herbal, spicy Cabernet Franc from California's Lodi region.