Hand-Chopped Spiced Beef Tartare
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
This exceptional beef tartare from chef Owen Kenworthy, made with hand-chopped beef, is fast and easy to make ahead.
- 1 1/2 pounds hanger steak—trimmed of all sinew and fat, chilled
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary
- Pinch of piment d'Espelette (see Note)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Grilled sourdough bread, for serving
- On a cutting board, slice the steak into very thin strips. Stack the strips and cut into fine cubes. Add the rosemary and piment d'Espelette and chop together until the meat is minced. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl. Stir in the oil and lemon juice; serve with grilled sourdough bread.
Light meat dishes pair well with light reds like Gamay. Try a French wine from the Rhône or Burgundy region.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.