- 1/2 pound green cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped (4 cups)
- 1/2 pound green or unripe tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 hamburger buns, split
How to make this recipe
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Finely chop the cabbage in a food processor and transfer to a large, heavy pot. Put the tomatoes, bell pepper and onion in the processor and finely chop; add to the cabbage. Add the vinegar, sugar, celery seeds, turmeric, cayenne and 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt to the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook the chowchow over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until it's cooked down to about 2 cups, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, form the ground beef into 4 patties and season with salt and pepper. Grill the burgers until nicely charred outside and medium-rare within, about 3 minutes per side. Grill the buns, cut side down, until toasted, about 20 seconds.
Set the grilled hamburgers on the bottom halves of the buns. Spoon a thick layer of chowchow on the burgers, top with the toasted buns and serve.
Fruity, medium-bodied Merlot.