- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 1 QUART
- 3 quarts chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 2 medium celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium leek, coarsely chopped
- 5 fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 2 imported bay leaves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- Combine all the ingredients in a stockpot and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Lower the heat and simmer until reduced by two-thirds, about 1 1/4 hours. Strain the stock. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for 1 month. Skim off the fat before using.
Serve With Dumpling Squash Soup with Pancetta.