Ham Steak with Redeye Gravy
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 thick-cut ham steak (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup Peppadew peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 pickled jalapeños, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the ham and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly browned, 10 minutes. Transfer the ham to a plate, cover and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in the skillet. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the Peppadews and jalapeños and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the broth and coffee and cook until reduced by half, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the cornstarch slurry and cook until the gravy is thickened, about 1 minute. Season with salt and black pepper. Slice the ham steak into four pieces, pour the gravy on top and serve.
Serve WithGrits or rice.
Salty foods boost tannins in wine, so a dry rosé with lots of flavor would be ideal here.