Ham Steak with Redeye Gravy
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 thick-cut ham steak (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup Peppadew peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 pickled jalapeños, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the ham and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly browned, 10 minutes. Transfer the ham to a plate, cover and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in the skillet. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the Peppadews and jalapeños and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the broth and coffee and cook until reduced by half, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the cornstarch slurry and cook until the gravy is thickened, about 1 minute. Season with salt and black pepper. Slice the ham steak into four pieces, pour the gravy on top and serve.
Salty foods boost tannins in wine, so a dry rosé with lots of flavor would be ideal here.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.