Ham, Salami and Cheese Panini
- SERVINGS: 4
Great Comfort Food Recipes
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon brandy
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 ounces salami or mortadella, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced ham
- Four 6-inch-long baguette rolls or one 2-foot-long baguette, halved lengthwise and cut into 4 pieces
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, brandy and cayenne. In another small bowl, toss the salami with the cheese. Divide the ham slices into 4 stacks. Scatter the salami and cheese in the center of the ham; fold in the sides so the ham is in thirds. Brush both cut sides of the baguettes with the mayonnaise sauce. Top with the ham rolls and close the panini.
- Set a large cast-iron skillet or griddle over moderately high heat. Arrange the panini in the skillet and weight them down with a smaller pan. Cook the panini until the outside is crisp and the filling is heated through, 3 minutes per side. Cut the panini in half and serve at once.
Make AheadThe ham packets can be refrigerated overnight.