- 6 ounces lean slab bacon, sliced 1/4 inch thick and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Yukon Gold potato (8 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 cups chicken or beef stock or low-sodium broth
- 6 ounces smoked ham, shredded (1 cup)
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained
- 1/2 small head of escarole, cut into 1/2-inch ribbons (2 packed cups)
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
In a saucepan, fry the bacon in the 1 tablespoon of olive oil over moderately high heat until browned, about 6 minutes. Spoon off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the potato and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the stock and boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook until the potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
Add the ham, beans and escarole and season with pepper. Cook over moderately high heat until the escarole is tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowls, drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Black cherry-laced Tinta de Toro.