- 6 ounces lean slab bacon, sliced 1/4 inch thick and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Yukon Gold potato (8 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 cups chicken or beef stock or low-sodium broth
- 6 ounces smoked ham, shredded (1 cup)
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained
- 1/2 small head of escarole, cut into 1/2-inch ribbons (2 packed cups)
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a saucepan, fry the bacon in the 1 tablespoon of olive oil over moderately high heat until browned, about 6 minutes. Spoon off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the potato and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the stock and boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook until the potato is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the ham, beans and escarole and season with pepper. Cook over moderately high heat until the escarole is tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowls, drizzle with olive oil and serve.
Black cherry-laced Tinta de Toro.