- 1 1/2 pounds fingerling potatoes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 hard-cooked large egg yolks, mashed with a fork
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced cornichons
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- One 1/2-pound piece of smoked ham, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- 4 cups mesclun (2 ounces)
- Pickled okra, halved lengthwise, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Add a generous pinch of salt and simmer over moderate heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly, then cut in half lengthwise.
In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the egg yolks, cornichons, shallot, horseradish, cayenne, 1/4 cup of the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the vinegar. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with half of the dressing. Fold in the ham and cucumber and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the salad to plates or a platter.
In another bowl, toss the mesclun with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon each of olive oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Arrange on top of and around the ham-and-potato salad. Garnish with pickled okra and serve, passing additional dressing at the table.
Pair this salad with a berry-rich sparkling rosé cava.