Ham and Chile-Cheddar Calzones
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
A fast, easy homemade pimiento spread adds a little kick to the gooey cheddar filling in this clever version of grilled ham-and-cheese sandwiches.
- All-purpose flour, for rolling
- 2 pounds thawed frozen pizza dough, formed into 4 balls
- 2 poblano chiles—roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 packed cups farmstead cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons jarred pimientos, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound smoked ham, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Two 4-ounce bunches of arugula, thick stems discarded
- Preheat a large baking sheet in a 500° oven for 10 minutes and carefully spray it with oil. Meanwhile, on a lightly floured work surface, roll or stretch each ball of dough into a 9-inch round.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chiles, 1 3/4 cups of the cheddar, the pimientos, a pinch of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper; mash to a coarse paste with a fork.
- Arrange the ham on the bottom half of each dough round. Top with the arugula and season lightly with salt and pepper. Spread the chile-cheddar mixture over the arugula to within 1/2 inch of the edge, pressing it slightly to compact. Fold the top half of the dough over the filling, pressing to release any trapped air; pinch the edges to seal.
- Transfer the calzones to the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of cheddar on top and bake for 8 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
Light, spicy Rhône red.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.