Ham and Cheese Turnovers
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Customers line up at the Frog Hollow Farm shop in the Ferry Building for amazing fruit pastries and delicious yet simple turnovers like the ham-and-cheese ones here. They freeze well, so make extra batches and store them for whenever a craving hits; they're best when eaten straight out of the oven.
- 1/2 pound frozen all-butter puff pastry, thawed
- 4 thin slices of smoked ham, such as Black Forest (4 ounces)
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded (3 ounces)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured work surface, gently roll out the puff pastry to a roughly 13-inch square 1/16 inch thick. Cut out four 6-inch squares and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate the pastry for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lay the ham slices on a work surface. Spoon 1/4 cup of the shredded Gruyère on one side of each slice of ham, then fold the other side of the ham over the cheese to form a neat package.
- Lightly brush the edges of the pastry squares with water. Set the ham-and-cheese packages on the squares and fold the pastry corner to corner to form triangles. Press the edges of the turnovers together and crimp decoratively with a fork. Brush the turnovers with the beaten egg and bake them for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and puffed. Let cool slightly and serve.
Ripe, blackberry-rich Zinfandel.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.