Ham-and-Cheese Stuffed Veal Chops
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
These plump veal chops are stuffed with truffled pecorino cheese and thin slivers of ham, then topped by a tangy-sweet Madeira sauce. The four chops in this recipe sear best if you split them between two pans, but if you have only one good, thick- bottomed sauté pan, brown them two at a time; if you crowd in all four chops at once, they won't brown properly.
- 4 veal rib chops (about 3/4 pound each)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices of ham (2 ounces)
- 4 slices of truffled pecorino cheese, such as Pecorino Tartufello (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter—2 tablespoons at room temperature, 3 tablespoons diced and chilled
- 1/2 cup Madeira
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Using a paring knife, cut a 3-inch-deep horizontal pocket in the center of each chop. Season the chops and pockets with salt and pepper. Tuck one slice each of ham and cheese into each pocket and seal with toothpicks.
- In each of 2 large skillets, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add 2 chops to each skillet and cook over moderately high heat for about 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon of the room-temperature butter to each skillet and cook the chops, turning once, until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer the chops to a large rimmed baking sheet and roast in the oven until the veal is pink and an instant-read thermometer inserted at the thickest point registers 130°, about 8 to 10 minutes. Discard the toothpicks.
- Meanwhile, add 1/4cup of the Madeira to each skillet and swirl to deglaze the pans. Scrape the juices from 1 skillet into the other. Add the chicken broth and simmer over moderate heat until reduced to 1/2 cup. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the cold butter. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the veal chops to plates. Stir in any accumulated juices from the sheet pan to the sauce. Pour the sauce over the chops and serve at once.
Pairing the dish with a young, fruity Barbera elevates the experience.