- 4 slices of seeded rye bread, cut into 1-by-1/2-inch batons
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery (3 ribs)
- 1 pound thickly sliced smoked ham, cut into 1-by-1/2-inch batons
- 6 ounces Gruyère cheese, coarsely shredded (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the bread with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring once, until lightly toasted. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk the mustard with the mayonnaise and vinegar. Gradually whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil and season with pepper. Add the celery, ham, cheese, chives and the rye bread croutons, toss well and serve.