- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons lebneh
- 2 cups shredded halvah (5 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons almond meal
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick cold salted butter, cubed
- 8 ounces pitted Medjool dates, chopped
- 3/4 cup ruby Port wine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 fresh or dried Black Mission figs, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Make the parfait In a small saucepan, bring the cream just to a simmer. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until thickened and pale yellow, about 3 minutes. Beating constantly, slowly drizzle in the hot cream until well blended. Continue beating until the mixture is lightened and lukewarm, about 8 minutes. Beat in the lebneh and halvah at low speed until well blended, about 2 minutes. Evenly spread the mixture in a 9-inch-square metal pan lined with plastic wrap; freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
- Make the crumble Preheat the oven to 350°. In a spice grinder, finely grind the Sichuan peppercorns. Transfer to a bowl and mix in all of the remaining dry ingredients, then beat in the butter until the mixture forms small pebbles. Spread the peppercorn crumble on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, stirring a few times, until golden. Let cool.
- Make the date puree In a saucepan, combine the dates and Port and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the dates break down, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth. Scrape into a bowl.
- Make the spiced figs In a nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the figs cut side down and cook over moderately low heat, until golden on both sides, about 4 minutes total. Add the honey, cardamom, ginger and coriander and cook, stirring, until lightly caramelized, about 2 minutes. Add the sherry and vinegar and cook, stirring, until the liquid thickens, 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Cut the halvah parfait into 6 or 8 squares or rounds. Spoon the date puree onto plates. Top with the halvah squares and spiced figs. Sprinkle with the crumble and serve with ice cream.