Halibut with Tartar-Style Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This fun twist on tartar sauce omits the usual mayo, instead mixing capers, cornichons and olive oil for a chunky dressing.
- 1/2 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cornichons, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Four 6-ounce skinless halibut fillets (1 inch thick)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Light a grill. In a small bowl, stir together the chopped shallot and lemon juice. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the cornichons, parsley, capers, paprika and the 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Brush the grate with oil. Season the halibut with salt and pepper and grill over moderately high heat, turning, until opaque, 6 minutes. Transfer to plates, spoon the dressing on top and serve.
Medium-bodied Pinot Blanc, such as one from Washington State.