- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 9 ounces andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- 6 ounces thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 pounds coarsely chopped mixed greens, such as frisée, Swiss chard, spinach and mustard greens
- 6 cups finely shredded green cabbage (from a 2-pound head)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- Steamed white rice, filé powder and hot sauce, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil. Add the andouille and bacon and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage and bacon to a plate.
Add the onion, scallions, celery, garlic, thyme and cayenne to the pot and cook over low heat until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Add the mixed greens and cabbage in large handfuls, stirring until theyjre wilted before adding more. Season the gumbo with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the greens are all very tender.
Add the sausage, bacon and chicken to the pot and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve the gumbo in shallow bowls with rice, filé powder and hot sauce.
The gumbo can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.