- Two 12-ounce bottles Guinness stout
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Four 6-ounce skinless halibut fillets
- 4 large carrots, cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a skillet, bring the stout and honey to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat, skimming, until reduced to 1/2 cup, 25 minutes. Pour into a heatproof bowl and stir in the lemon juice, hot sauce and 1/2 teaspoon of salt; let cool to room temperature.
- In a shallow baking dish, pour half of the stout glaze over the halibut fillets and turn to coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning a few times. Reserve the remaining stout glaze.
- Preheat the broiler. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the carrots and boil until just tender, about 4 minutes; drain. Pour the reserved stout glaze into the saucepan and boil over high heat until thickened and reduced to 1/3 cup, about 2 minutes. Add the carrots and simmer until glazed, about 1 minute.
- Remove the halibut from the marinade and arrange the fillets on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush the halibut with olive oil and season with pepper. Broil about 4 inches from the heat until richly browned and just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the halibut to plates and serve with the Guinness-glazed carrots.
One Serving 421 cal, 13 gm fat, 1.6 gm sat fat, 30 gm carb, 0.6 gm fiber.