- 8 ounces canned guava paste (see Note), cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 scallion, white part only, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
In a small saucepan, combine the guava paste with the vinegar, rum, tomato paste, lime juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ginger, scallion, garlic and water and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1 1/4 cups, about 15 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
The barbecue sauce can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Guava paste is usually sold in flat metal cans. It is available at many supermarkets as well as at Latin markets.