Â© Fredrika StjÃ¤rne
Guacamole with Charred Jalapeño and Scallions
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 2 cups
F&W's Grace Parisi invented this smoky guacamole, then presented three ingenious ways to use it: in a salad dressing.
More Avocado Recipes
- 3 medium scallions, white and tender green parts only
- 2 medium garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 Hass avocados, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat a grill pan. In a small bowl, toss the scallions, garlic and jalapeño with the vegetable oil. Grill over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until charred all over, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a work surface and let cool.
- Finely chop the scallions and jalapeño and transfer to a medium bowl. Peel the garlic cloves, mash them to a paste and add them to the bowl. Scoop the avocado flesh into the bowl and coarsely mash with a fork. Fold the cilantro and lime juice into the guacamole, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Make AheadPress a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the guacamole and refrigerate overnight.
NotesVariation: For a brighter, crunchier guacamole, finely chop the scallions, garlic and jalapeño and stir them in raw.