GT Prime Steak Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 3/4 cup
This powerfully flavorful steak sauce benefits from toasted spices like cardamom and star anise. It gets a hit of sweetness from honey and nice heat from cayenne pepper.
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 2 star anise pods
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- In a medium saucepan, toast the cardamom and star anise over moderate heat, tossing, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes; let cool slightly. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced to 3/4 cup, about 25 minutes.
- Strain the sauce through a fine sieve into a blender; discard the star anise and cardamom. Add the garlic cloves to the blender and puree the sauce until smooth. Let cool completely, then season with salt. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.