Gruyère Toasts with Caramelized Onions and Sherry
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 4 dozen toasts
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fino sherry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds, lightly toasted
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 12 slices of rye bread from a square loaf of rye or European pumpernickel bread
- 1/2 cup whole-grain mustard
- 10 ounces Gruyère cheese, coarsely shredded
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in each of 2 large skillets. Add half of the onions to each skillet and cook over moderately low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, or until nicely browned. Scrape all of the onions into 1 skillet. Stir in the sherry and caraway seeds and cook until the sherry is completely absorbed, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Lightly spread 1 side of each slice of bread with the mustard and arrange on a large baking sheet. Top with the onions and cheese. Season with pepper.
- Bake the open-faced sandwiches for 6 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the edges of the bread are toasted. Transfer the toasts to a cutting board and cut into triangles.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.