- 1 cup wheat berries (2 1/2 cups cooked)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups grated Gruyère cheese (5 ounces)
- Two 6-ounce cans tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/2 cup snipped chives, plus more for garnish
- Crackers, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, cook the wheat berries in boiling water until tender, about 1 hour. Drain.
Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large cast-iron skillet, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the wheat berries, cheese, tuna and the 1/2 cup of chives. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden and bubbly. Garnish with more chives and serve with crackers.