Gritz Cheese Crackers
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 100 CRACKERS
- 1 cup instant grits
- 1 cup bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 -inch pieces
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 2/3 cup low-fat (1.5%) buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, mix the grits, flour, salt, baking soda and cayenne. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the Parmesan and make a well in the center. Add the buttermilk and stir to form a stiff dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Wrap in plastic and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Cut the dough into quarters. Set one quarter on a lightly floured surface; cover the remaining pieces with plastic. Roll out the dough 1/16 inch thick. Using a 2-inch round biscuit cutter or a glass, cut out rounds of dough and arrange them on a nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a rack and let cool. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Make Ahead The crackers can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Notes Five Crackers Calories 98 kcal, Protein 3.3 gm, Carbohydrate 14.9 gm, Cholesterol 6.5 mg, Total Fat 2.5 gm, Saturated Fat 1.4 gm.