Grilled-Zucchini Subs with Fresh Mozzarella and Olivada
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 8 subs
This summery sandwich benefits from a generous topping of olivada made with tangy green olives, lemon and oil. It's great with the creamy mozzarella and the lightly smoky grilled-zucchini slices here; it's also wonderful with grilled chicken.
More Tasty Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 cups pitted green olives, such as Spanish olives (6 ounces)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 hero rolls, split
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 medium zucchini (about 1/2 pound each), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and thinly sliced
- 32 small basil leaves
- In a food processor, pulse the olives with the garlic and lemon zest until the olives are finely chopped. Add 1/4 cup of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread the olivada on the cut sides of the rolls.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar with the oregano and 1/2 cup of the olive oil. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a grill pan. In a large bowl, toss the zucchini with the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the zucchini slices over high heat for about 5 minutes, turning once, until tender and lightly charred.
- Mound the zucchini onto the rolls and drizzle with a little of the dressing. Top with the mozzarella, tomatoes and basil and drizzle with more of the dressing. Close the subs and serve right away.
Vouvray, made with the Chenin Blanc grape from France's Loire Valley, tends to have herbal, smoky flavors that go particularly well with grilled vegetables.