Grilled Wild Salmon Skewers with Orange Tomato Jam
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
The sweet-tart jam that accompanies these smoky salmon kebabs is surprisingly good with all kinds of savory dishes, from chicken to crostini. Or add chopped fresh mint and serve the jam with lamb.
More Grilled Salmon Recipes
- 4 medium orange tomatoes (about 1 3/4 pounds)—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 1/4 pounds skinless wild salmon fillet, cut crosswise into twenty-four 1/2-inch-thick slices
- In a medium saucepan, combine the tomatoes with the vinegar, honey, ginger, cumin, cayenne, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and half the garlic and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the jam is thick, about 45 minutes. Transfer the jam to a bowl and refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour. Stir the chopped basil into the jam and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil with the remaining garlic and season with salt and pepper. Add the salmon, toss well to coat and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Light a grill. Thread the salmon slices onto twenty-four 8-inch bamboo skewers. Grill the salmon over moderate heat, turning once, until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve the salmon skewers with the tomato jam.
Make AheadThe tomato jam can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
NotesOne Serving 287 Calories, 17 gm Total Fat, 3.2 gm Saturated Fat, 8 gm Carbohydrates, 1 gm Fiber.