- 4 whole red snappers or black bass (about 1 3/4 pounds each), cleaned
- 8 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Sweet Garlic Barbecue Sauce and lime slices, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Make 3 crosswise slashes down to the bone on both sides of each fish. Place the fish in 2 large shallow glass baking dishes.
- In a mini food processor, pulse the garlic with the cilantro, salt, coriander and white pepper until finely chopped. With the machine on, slowly add 2 tablespoons of oil and process to a paste.
- Slather the paste in the fish cavities and slashes and spread any extra over the skin; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, whisk the fish sauce with the lime juice, sugar and 3 tablespoons of oil. Set aside for basting.
- Light a grill. Lightly oil the grate. Grill the fish, covered, over a medium-low fire for about 25 minutes, basting twice and turning once, until cooked through. Transfer to a platter and fillet before serving with the Sweet Garlic Barbecue Sauce and lime slices.