- 1 Hass avocado, peeled and cut into 1/3-inch pieces
- 1 cup finely diced hothouse cucumber
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeño, plus very thinly sliced jalapeño for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- One 4-pound watermelon, quartered lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slabs
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup small dill sprigs
How to make this recipe
Light a grill. In a medium bowl, gently mix the avocado with the cucumber, lime juice, minced jalapeño, cumin and the 1/4 cup of olive oil. Season the salsa with salt and pepper.
Brush the watermelon slabs with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning once, until nicely charred on both sides, about 4 minutes total. Transfer to a platter. Spoon the salsa on the watermelon and top with the cilantro leaves, dill sprigs and sliced jalapeño, if using. Serve right away.
Herb-inflected Chilean Sauvignon Blanc.