Grilled Vegetables with Green Goddess Dressing
- SERVINGS: 6
Slicing the fennel and cauliflower straight through the core keeps the slices intact during grilling and makes for a dramatic presentation.
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped basil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 Asian eggplants (about 2 pounds), sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- 6 portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- 2 fennel bulbs, stalks and feathery fronds discarded, bulbs sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick through the core
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 medium cauliflower, core trimmed, head sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- 2 large red bell peppers, cored and quartered
- Green Goddess Dressing
- Light a grill. In a medium bowl, mix the olive oil with the basil and season generously with salt and pepper. Brush the basil oil on the vegetables. When the fire is medium-hot, arrange the eggplant slices on the hottest area of the grill and surround with the portobellos and sliced fennel. Grill, basting often with the oil and turning once, until the vegetables are nicely charred and almost tender, about 6 minutes for the eggplant and 10 minutes for the portobellos and fennel. Transfer the vegetables to a platter and cover loosely with foil.
- Put the zucchini and yellow squash on the hottest part of the grill and surround them with the cauliflower and red bell peppers. Grill, basting often with the basil oil and turning once, until the vegetables are nicely charred and almost tender, 1 to 2 minutes for the zucchini, 6 minutes for the bell peppers and 10 minutes for the cauliflower. Add the vegetables to the platter and serve with the Green Goddess Dressing.
A fresh, citrusy white is the perfect foil for the smoky grilled flavors of the vegetables and will echo the tanginess of the sour cream dressing. Turn to a juicy, zesty Pinot Grigio.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.