- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped basil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 Asian eggplants (about 2 pounds), sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- 6 portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- 2 fennel bulbs, stalks and feathery fronds discarded, bulbs sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick through the core
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- 2 medium yellow squash, sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 medium cauliflower, core trimmed, head sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- 2 large red bell peppers, cored and quartered
- Green Goddess Dressing
How to make this recipe
Light a grill. In a medium bowl, mix the olive oil with the basil and season generously with salt and pepper. Brush the basil oil on the vegetables. When the fire is medium-hot, arrange the eggplant slices on the hottest area of the grill and surround with the portobellos and sliced fennel. Grill, basting often with the oil and turning once, until the vegetables are nicely charred and almost tender, about 6 minutes for the eggplant and 10 minutes for the portobellos and fennel. Transfer the vegetables to a platter and cover loosely with foil.
Put the zucchini and yellow squash on the hottest part of the grill and surround them with the cauliflower and red bell peppers. Grill, basting often with the basil oil and turning once, until the vegetables are nicely charred and almost tender, 1 to 2 minutes for the zucchini, 6 minutes for the bell peppers and 10 minutes for the cauliflower. Add the vegetables to the platter and serve with the Green Goddess Dressing.
The vegetables can be kept at room temperature for 2 hours.
A fresh, citrusy white is the perfect foil for the smoky grilled flavors of the vegetables and will echo the tanginess of the sour cream dressing. Turn to a juicy, zesty Pinot Grigio.