Grilled Vegetable Salad with Pistachio Vinaigrette
- SERVINGS: 4
The secret to this delicious salad is the way the nutty pistachio oil contrasts with the sweet balsamic vinegar (Chef George Mahaffey recommends using Cavalli balsamic seasoning).
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh chanterelle mushrooms, thickly sliced if large
- 1/2 pound thin asparagus, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 5 tablespoons Toasted Pistachio Oil
- 6 cups mesclun (about 6 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 500°. In a bowl, combine the oil, garlic, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Spread the mushrooms on a baking sheet and toss with half of the herb oil. Roast for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring, until tender and browned. Transfer to a plate.
- On the baking sheet, toss the asparagus with the remaining herb oil and roast for 6 to 7 minutes, stirring, until tender and browned. Cut the asparagus into 2-inch lengths and add to the mushrooms.
- In a bowl, blend 1 1/2 tablespoons of the vinegar with 2 tablespoons of the Toasted Pistachio Oil and toss with the mesclun. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and mound the salad on 4 plates.
- Add the mushrooms and asparagus to the bowl, toss with the remaining balsamic vinegar and arrange on the salads. Drizzle the remaining Toasted Pistachio Oil over and around each salad.
The pistachio dressing and vegetables are best paired with a crisply acidic white with herbaceous flavors. Try a Sauvignon Blanc, such as the Matanzas Creek or the Grgich Hills Fumé Blanc.