Grilled Vegetable Salad with Pesto Dressing
- SERVINGS: 8
Any leftover pesto can be tossed with pasta, drizzled over chicken or steak or mixed with mayonnaise to make a sandwich spread.
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 2 yellow squash, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered lengthwise
- 2 medium red onions, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 packed cups basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Light a charcoal grill or preheat the broiler. Brush the zucchini, squash, bell peppers, onions and eggplant with 1/2 cup of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables in batches, turning occasionally, until tender and browned, about 12 minutes for the zucchini, squash and peppers and 20 minutes for the eggplant and onions. Transfer the vegetables to a platter as they are cooked and let cool.
- In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts until lightly browned, about 1 minute. In a food processor or blender, combine the basil with the garlic, lemon juice, water and pine nuts and pulse until finely chopped. With the machine on, slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil and process until smooth. Add the Parmesan and pulse to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the pesto dressing over the grilled vegetables and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.