- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 3/4 pound small eggplant, sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- 3/4 pound zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- Four 1-inch-thick slices of peasant bread
- 1/2 pound haloumi cheese or queso blanco, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 1/2 cup Provençal Anchovy Sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
Light a grill. Brush the shiitakes, eggplant, zucchini, bread and cheese with olive oil. Grill the shiitakes, eggplant and zucchini over a moderately high fire, turning occasionally, until tender and charred in spots, 8 to 10 minutes; transfer to a platter. Grill the bread until toasted, 3 to 4 minutes; transfer to the platter. Grill the cheese, turning once or twice, until softened and charred in spots, about 2 minutes.
Cut the vegetables and cheese into 1-inch pieces and transfer to a bowl. Add the anchovy sauce and toss. Cut the bread into 1-inch pieces, add them to the bowl and toss. Season the salad lightly with salt and pepper and serve.